Monday, July 31, 2006

The Internet and Realtors - Make Love, Not War

There’s been a lot of talk lately about how the Internet is changing real estate. Back when word processors first made work easier and more efficient, some people refused to give up their trusty electric typewriters. While the rest of the business world moved ahead, they were typing and retyping, struggling with carbon paper and correction tape.

It’s the same with the Internet. For years, real estate agents and brokers guarded listing information and doled it out after qualifying prospective buyers. When the Internet started to make information available, some agents saw it as a threat and resisted using the new technology. But Realtors who could see the potential of easy access to listing information, those are the agents who are growing and thriving. In fact, because consumers are now doing a lot of the work themselves, these Realtors can concentrate on building relationships, creative marketing, and becoming valued professionals who can help sellers and buyers through the complex process of getting to the settlement table.

Brad Inman moderated a panel at Inman News' Real Estate Connect conference in San Francisco last week. Inman said, "This morning a guy said to me…'It's not that the Internet is going to get rid of Realtors, it’s going to get rid of Realtors that don't use the Internet.'"

I love this quote! In this market that is supposed to be going down, my listings are picking up. I use the Internet extensively with both my web site and my blog. My active use of technology, combined with the personalized service that I give, equals a full book of listings and people waiting for me to work with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home