Thursday, August 03, 2006

What's In a Number?

When I first got into the business, I learned that you need to do something to make yourself stand out. If you notice, almost ALL listings end in 000, 500, or 900. I chose to make my listings more visible by using a unique number in each one.

Back then I was driving my little dream car, a Porsche 944, and I began using this number on my first listing. I loved my 944, and I love 944 - now I use it on all my listings. When you look down a column of listings or sales and they end with 944…yep, those are mine.

I once went on a listing appointment but chose not to work with that seller – he wanted full service for a no-service commission. A short time later, I got a call from an agent asking if I was a partner of agent “X.” When I asked why, I was told he was using “my” number. He took my “rejected” listing but used my suggested price ending in 944. When I spoke to that agent, he told me that I could NOT own a number. I just thanked him because I was getting calls from other agents about this property, but they only wanted “my” listings! He changed the sales price in the MLS that same day. And 944 is still “my” number.

I find that the number gets noticed by lenders and title attorneys as well as other agents. If you go to www.Realtor.com and put in my zip code, 21209, pictures of 4 “Featured Homes” will come up; one will always be mine. How can you tell which one? Now you know…because it ends with “944.”

Next time you take a listing, try making the price a unique number – one that means something to you – and see what happens!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home