Sunday, September 10, 2006

I Don't Do Upset

I got a call from a very upset seller yesterday. She wasn't upset with me, or even that her wonderful house hasn't sold yet. It was something that had happened in her life, and because we have become friends, and because she feels she can talk to me...well...she unloaded.

It immediately brought back another day. It was a day when a dear 80+ lady, the mother-in-law of a dear friend of mine, buried her husband. This was a very sad day and she certainly had reason to be upset.

Someone had made a comment my friend thought was unkind, and she complained to her mother-in-law about it. This sweet lady put her hand on my friend's arm and said: "Don’t let unimportant people or unimportant things become important."

Now think about - almost every time we get upset, isn't it about "somebody" or "something" that is NOT important? That day I decided that "I don't do upset."

And yesterday I told my seller that story. I have used this so many times and it always hits home. My seller quickly saw that the person who had upset her so was definitely in the NOT important category. So I urged her to give in to the desire to get all those things she wanted to say down in a scathing email...but send it to me. And then look around at all the good things that have happened for her lately, and repeat after me: "I don't do upset."

3 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret! Your blog is fantastic and this post in particular! It's so true that we are in control of our own attitude and how funny that just a few minutes ago I got an email from someone "upset". The very next one however was someone referencing me to your blog where I saw this post. I guess there are no accidents either, eh?

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret! Your blog is fantastic and this post in particular! It's so true that we are in control of our own attitude and how funny that just a few minutes ago I got an email from someone "upset". The very next one however was someone referencing me to your blog where I saw this post. I guess there are no accidents either, eh?

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret..found your site after reading real estate rainmakers...hope you don't mind if I borrow a couple of your ideas!

My philosophy I try to live by..
before I get upset about anything is , I ask myself..Will this matter in 5 years? it's amazing how much won't!!
Wish you continued success,
Gary Udinson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home