Sunday, November 05, 2006

Networks, Friends, and an Afternoon in New England

When does a business lunch become an afternoon with new friends? For Lee and me, it was when Jay Burnham, a special CyberStar® and Coldwell Banker Realtor®, learned we would be in Boston. As soon as he heard we were coming to his area for a few days each week, Jay contacted me and asked what he could do to help. He arranged for glorious fall weather and lunch at a wonderful restaurant near the aquarium. We sat down as professional acquaintances, we talked nonstop, and at the end we three parted as good friends.

As Jay said in a letter to the CyberStars, "What would normally be at best perhaps a one hour lunch turned into 2 1/2 hours and even then the time seemed to have flown by all too quickly. By the time we parted, I knew I had made friends for life.

"I am talking, of course, about Lee and Margaret Rome…I only met them both yesterday. I live just north of Boston so I made arrangements to meet them in town for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants. I came away energized with ideas that Margaret kept throwing at me without hesitation or relief during our entire time together. According to Lee, that's just simply status quo for Margaret as she is a true type-E personality. If you're not sure what that is, take a look at her blog to find out."

Jay made that day so special for us, and if he came away with ideas, we came away with the delight of finding a new friend in a man who took the time and care to make us feel special.

Here it is again – I'm starting to sound like a broken record, talking about networking and the value of communities like the CyberStars and ActiveRain. Yes, it's important for your business. But these connections can also lead to friendships when you need them most. Right now, I know there are people all around the country I can reach out to - it is an extended family of the best kind.

Without the CyberStars, I would not have met Jay. Without Jay's thoughtfulness, I would not have received a letter from Rick Loughlin, Coldwell Banker's Central New England President and COO, offering the use of their office and services while I'm in Boston. Without the ActiveRain community, I would not have received so many warm and wonderful calls and emails. Without all of you, I would not be supported by this strong network of friends.

2 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how much we're alike:

Your version of "getting away" still involves something work related.

My second-to-last "vacation" (Nov. '05) was a two week trip to South Beach.

I went down there to assess hurricane damage for mortgage companies I used to do broker price opinions for.

Not only did I get to enjoy South Beach for two weeks, it was also income producing and a total tax write-off!

Come to think of it, that is the best kind of vacation there is.

My last "vacation" was a conference in Denver.

As long as I am out of town I consider it a vacation -- even if I spend most of my time "working."

After all, it's not really work if you're passionate about it, right?

I do not think I will ever be able to fully disconnect and take a vacation without work. It would feel unnatural. I would be bored in no time for sure.

Cheers!

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I left my previous comment on the wrong post. I meant to leave it on the post where you talk about getting away and going to a seminar by your friend.

Then again, it still kind of goes along with this post, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home