Monday, August 20, 2007

A Gas Station + A Good Impression = A Listing

A couple of weeks ago I received this email (used with permission):

Dear Mrs. Rome,

I don't know if you remember me. My name is Kaliq Simms, and about six months ago, we happened to be getting gas at the same station on Reisterstown Rd. I recognized your name on your license plate. You had been the seller's realtor for a house we contemplated buying about six years ago when we were shopping for our current home.

I was so impressed with your professionalism and great personality. We ended up buying another home (no fault of yours, of course), but I continued to visit your website periodically over the years, as I knew we would eventually want to sell our current starter home. Long story short, you gave me your number at the gas station that day and told me to call you when we decided to sell. Well, we've decided :)!

I hope we can work together. We need a speedy and smooth sale because we have found the house we want to buy. We are already pre-qualified and have a realtor for the buy-side of this transaction. Please call us as soon as possible. Thank you!

That Saturday I went on a listing appointment, and though they said they absolutely wanted to use me, they also said they wanted their attorney to look over the listing agreement. I told them, "Absolutely, and here is what he'll say: he'll tell you the commission is too high and the term is too long, and that you shouldn't sign it."

While they were waiting to hear from the attorney, as a surprise for this delightful young family I put their home on my website with no address, no price, and a "Coming Soon!" heading. Later that week they reported that the lawyer said exactly what I predicted, but after thinking it over some more…they listed their home with me. Up went the listing on MLS, up went the listing on Active Rain, and we've had three showings already, one with good interest.

I've always insisted on showing my own properties whenever possible. Six years ago, a showing that did not lead to a sale created an impression. And today I have a listing for 7529 Rockridge Road, Pikesville, MD because of it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home