Monday, May 24, 2010

Where Do You Want the Sign Placed? Not… Do You Want a Sign?

I just commented on John Elwell's post "To Post a Sign or Not to Post a Sign When Selling Your Home? Think Carefully! stating: I could have made a blog out of this: So I am going to do just that!

HomeRome Realty

A few years ago, I received a call from a seller who did some research and noticed that I had some difficult to sell properties. After obtaining the address I was not sure about the neighborhood but was intrigued because this property (with a bit of acreage, one nice little house, and one dilapidated house) had been on the market for an extremely long time. We are talking about a couple of years with no showings, no offers, no luck. The owners were frustrated and ready to give up.

This was one of those times when TLH was ordered requested to ride along to chauffeur me since the seller was not known to me. Not ever going to meet anyone at a vacant property!

Thought this might be a long shot...must be grossly overpriced... but one that was worth looking at. You know I like a challenge.

Seeing the potential in this property and a desire to work with this family, we came to an agreement. In doing my listing presentation I asked where they would like the sign placed...notice I did not ask IF they wanted one?

With their previous agent they chose not to post a sign! " Why"? I asked? They responded: "We are afraid that it might bring attention to a vacant property." Duh! We want attention ! We want the whole world to know the property is available for sale.

After evaluating this unique property, I found the previous price to be reasonable even though the sellers expected a huge price reduction. The owners signed up for my usual 12 month Listing the Rome Way and my job began.

There was the measuring, copy for my blog and website, photos, MLS posting, color brochures, my print advertising and a notification to the sign company.

Not only did I have numerous calls immediately but had the adjacent neighbors (a church) call almost the minute the sign went in the dirt. This congregation had been praying that this perfect property would be available.

They had no idea how to reach the seller. This adjacent acreage was for their playground and the small home was needed to house a church member. The dilapidated home was perfect for their storage needs. This unique and challenging property was SOLD within the week for FULL LIST PRICE!

Sure convinced me, once again, of a sign's importance.

Where Do You Want the Sign Placed? Not...Do You Want a Sign?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home