Wednesday, June 29, 2011

That's How I Sold A Dirty Messy House!

Some years ago, I took a listing that was very much like one described  by Alan May minus the baby diapers. In addition to stray animals, they had stray people. It was a referral from a friend and they needed my help! Stuff was piled high and you could not walk through the rooms. Dirty would have been a compliment and these were bright educated people with professional degrees.
                          PIGSTY  HomeRome 410-530-2400

Now this was a real challenge. How do I sell this dirty messy house?

First, I told them to paint the dining room. It was packed floor to ceiling and the table was piled three feet high with stuff. I assumed they would have to empty the room in order to paint it. Wrong!

They moved everything one foot from the wall, painted, and moved it all back. We just could not make a dent in the mess. Showing agents were really complaining....even though they knew the condition ahead of time. Remember I make my own appointments  and  then follow up.  


At the same time I was working with a young musician and his fiancé. They wanted a large, new home that no one had lived in before.  After a lot of searching we found new construction that had three bedrooms, an unfinished lower level. It was in their price range, ready to go but it did not have all they wanted.  Still they were ready to put down a deposit.

With their wedding less than a month away, I suggested they look at the dirty messy listing. This house was very comfortably in their price range. It was a five-bedroom brick house, with a finished lower level, and much larger square footage.

But how would I ever get someone who was set on NEW to even consider this place?

Did I have their trust enough to take a look? I warned and forewarned the young couple...to not  look at the condition. Picture the house vacant, white walls, new carpet, new appliances etc.

The bride-to-be walked in and immediately clasped her hands behind her back – she did not want to touch a thing! I could see she was grossed out and thinking, "How can I live here?"

There was only one way to get these young people into the house that was right for them. Make an offer asking the owner to strip  the house down to bear walls. Remove carpet, all appliances, ceiling fans, shower doors, blinds, toilet seats, shades, everything!

We requested an empty walk through with proof of  extermination  after  everything, especially the carpet, was removed. The buyer did not believe they could make these kinds of demands. It would be insulting.  Guess what... the sellers thought it was fabulous because the family could use all of their stuff in a new place!


This was the most creative contract I have written. After the house was painted, new flooring, new kitchen, new baths, new window treatments etc., this young couple had a much better than new, brick five-bedroom home for less money than the much smaller brand new home.

That's how I sold a messy dirty house!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home