Saturday, July 30, 2011

Why I Chose Real Estate...It Really Was an Accident!

Why I Chose Real Estate...It Really Was an Accident!

As a little girl, I only wanted to be a nurse so I could take care of my daddy. My mom worked 7 days a week in our restaurant but I spent most of my time with my dad. He was a diabetic, among other things, and I used to give him his insulin shots. Now this doesn't sound like a big deal but you have to understand he passed away before my ninth birthday. See if I was a nurse, I could have saved him. We used to go for ice cream...and I could keep a secret. Shhh...he wasn't supposed to have sugar.                      

  This is a photo of my mother holding me as a toddler.
  Chubby cheeks are part of this contest.  
        Mom and Me ...A long time ago...HomeRome 410-530-2400                            My dad and me            
  Dad passed away when I was only eight years old.



                                                                                    My Nursing Graduation
  Receiving my nursing diploma. Yeah! I am an RN!


And then I made a wish and Lee came true. The two photos below were from our honeymoon. We have been married 15,766 days! Yes, we still count the days and they are going by way too fast!

My Best Close Ever and Forever

          TLH Lee Rome  My wish came true                                                                      
Three years after our wedding, we had a our wonderful daughter, Erica, and I stopped my nursing career. That was after being named the youngest Head Nurse at Sinai Hospital.

Being a 'stay at home mom' I took up my second career..that of a ceramic and porcelain artist. There was a full studio in my home where I custom designed pottery for clients, The Design Center in DC, the Symphony Decorator's Show House, plus doing window displays for fine jewelry stores. My porcelains were used to drape the strands of gold, diamonds and pearls over the art pieces.
I even made closing gifts for some of the real estate agents.

                                         Free Form Porcelain by Margaret Rome
Why I Chose Real Estate...It Really Was an Accident!

Then there was the accident...rear ended while driving and had neck and back issues and was told I needed surgery. Since they could not guarantee the use of my hands...I decided against it. They advised me not to lift more than five pounds. Whoa! My box of clay weighed 50 pounds..no more ceramics for awhile.

During this time I get a "cold" call from a former nurse asking if I wanted to sell my house? I wondered why she would be interested. It was because she was now a Realtor®.

I had been helping people write ads for their homes and finding houses in the area for friends. For that service, I got beautiful thank you notes.  This former nurse told me...I could get paid for doing that and she wanted my referrals.
That same week, I signed up and  took a Real Estate course  to "tide" me over until I could get back to the clay which I loved.

That was in 1990 and many of my former patients, their families and owners of my artwork are now my real estate clients. I love walking into a home and finding one of my custom pieces out on display. I love being able to use my nursing background especially the psychology that is needed for the stress of moving. I love being able to incorporate my nursing, my ceramic art and my love of real estate  into my wonderful life!

Why I Chose Real Estate...It Really Was an Accident!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home