Monday, August 29, 2011

The Morning After...Good Night Irene!

The Morning After...Good Night Irene!

It was a long Saturday following the reports of  Hurricane Irene..how high the winds, how many inches of rain and the entire preparedness for the worst. I finally went to bed about 3AM...to be awakened at 5:30AM with that boom sound alerting us that the power has just been lost. No problem...we have a back up gas generator.

Waiting a few seconds I hear it trying to start, a few seconds more another try and then another few seconds...and I realize three strikes and you are out...out of power that is. A call to the company who tells me they are not that busy and will be out as soon as the rain lets up.

My cell phone charge is going down so I take a ride to survey the neighborhood and re-charge my phone.   

                                                        Hurricane Irene  HomeRome 410-530-2400



There was a lot of debris and quite a few downed trees... even a blocked off street.... all within a mile radius of my house.

After another call a service technician shows up about 1:00. Actually pretty amazing service considering there are  thousands without power.

Instead of waiting for the fix, went out for a late brunch with daughter, Erica who spent the night (because Mama has a generator) and our friend, Robin who lives nearby.

I was thinking how many things we have come to depend on by having electric and made this short list...Lights are number one (we all had our own flashlights), but in addition.. my adjustable bed, a TOTO toilet, an electric toothbrush, a water-pik, hairdryer, home phone, computer, clocks, garage openers, multiple TVs, microwave, phone chargers, and an electric chair stair glide.

We are spoiled, we have gotten used to our electric dependency! Notice how easily I mentioned computer with all the rest...meaning  NO ActiveRain!  Well I could check it on my cell phone but needed to conserve battery. My brilliant daughter took a power strip to the restaurant and we all plugged in our phones.

What electrical item could you not live without in the morning?

The Morning After...Good Night Irene!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home