Monday, June 30, 2008

Don't Do Anything You Don't Want To

The other day I was talking with a older person whose family was trying to get her to move. I found myself saying emphatically: "Don't do anything you don't want to. But DO everything that you want to." And when I was done, it felt good and right.

I thought about how this simplifies my business and my life:

  • I don't want to work with clients who are unpleasant to me or others…so I don't. Life is too short for that kind of aggravation.
  • I don't want to cut my commission (which would mean that I would have to cut my service)…so I don't. I get one of the highest full service commission rates in the area, and my clients know they get top value.
  • I don't want to drive buyers all over town looking at houses…so I don't. I work almost exclusively with sellers.
  • I don't want to ever regret choosing real estate…and I don't. Where else can you work with interesting people, help them reach an important life goal, and be part of a nation-wide community of professionals who become friends?
  • I DO want to be assured that my clients get the best possible service. That's why I answer my phone, make my own appointments, and am there for most showings.
  • I DO want to create referral business. That's why I use my experience in nursing to nurture clients and help them through the high-stress time of buying a home.
  • I DO want to help new agents, the ones who want to learn and stay in the profession for the long haul. That's why I mentor when I can and speak at new agents' training sessions.
  • I DO want to sleep well. That's why I don't cut corners or take shortcuts. They just are not worth it.
  • I DO want to spend time with my family and friends. That's why I carve out time when I am not available to clients, and never forget who is most important in my life.
  • And I DO want to keep growing and learning, even after almost 20 years in the business. That's why I keep taking courses, getting new designations like ACRE, and why I'm writing a book.

I can imagine some people shaking their heads and saying, "That sounds fine, but in business sometimes you have to do things you don't want to." No, you don't. There are always alternatives; you have to figure out what they are and then decide what you will do.

And then there are those who are thinking, "I want to DO those things, too, but the business is different here. I can't make it if I take time off for vacations or chasing people down to make appointments." That's your choice. Just consider what you may be missing by not spending the time with your family, or not giving yourself a rest. And, I actually save time and aggravation for my sellers by making my own appointments.

Like most basic principles in life, it's pretty simple.DO everything you want to, and DON'T do anything you don't want to.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home