Saturday, December 27, 2008

It's Not Lockboxes...It's How Agents Use Them!

There's been a lot of discussion lately about the use of lockboxes, and whether it's a good thing or not. The back and forth among agents illustrates exactly why I wrote Real Estate the Rome Way. Two people - one an agent, one a trainer - approached the subject of lockboxes and showings from different perspectives and came to different conclusions about whether we should use them or not.

I am not at all opposed to the lockbox, in fact many of my listings have them. However, that does not mean there is a blanket invitation at ANY and ALL times to have access. You will not see "lockbox, show anytime" on any of my listings. That is NOT how you represent your seller.

Margaret Rome Showing HomeI make my own appointments – I've written about this before (Appointments or Disappointments?), more than once (Appointments...Part 2).

As a listing agent, I need to do what is best for my clients. There are so many special situations that require me to be at a showing: the elderly, the frail, those with young children, family illness, special pet situations, caretakers, sellers who works and sleeps irregular shifts and many more.

TreoSure if all my homes were vacant, were short sales, or the owners were touring Europe for the year, it would be easy to slap a lockbox on and keep on going. But I list with real live people not properties. Buyer's agents call and speak to me. I answer my phone, I make appointments, I represent my sellers!

Why are expensive homes treated with listing agent's showings? Do only the wealthy get the "right" representation? Why not a lock box on these so-called exclusive listings, too? Sorry, but all my sellers are very special, and deserve the The Rome Way.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home